Sunday, November 1, 2009

Castle Rock Pinot Noir - 2008 Monterey County

I mentioned some time ago that I was working my way through Wine Spectator's Top 500 values for under $20 (October issue).  Tonight, I finally get around to one of the Pinot Noir's on the list.   Those of you who are regular PN drinkers know that it is difficult to find a good bottle for under $20.  In fact, many of the better Pinot's are in the upper $20 range.  I found WS to be on the mark with this one.  It is indeed a good buy.

I'm frequently asked to recommend less expensive Pinots.  First, there are not many choices. Second, you'll not find many American Pinot's under $20 period.  Lastly, many of them are just not that good.  They lack the structure and body of those (particularly Oregon) American Pinot Noirs we've grown to like and pay top dollar for.  Most value-priced Pinots ($10-$15) that I find are French imports.

Castle Rock Winery produces an abundance of wines primarily from the various California regions, and a limited selection from Oregon and Washington.  The 2008 vintage has three different Pinot Noirs.  There are bottles from Monterey (the subject of this article), Mendocino, Central Coast and a California Cuvee (blend from various viticultural areas).   Castle Rock sources grapes from vineyards around the state and produces the California varietals in Geyserville (Napa Valley).  Their wine line-up is full of affordable wines.

This wine is light to medium-bodied as is typical (in my opinion) of most moderately priced California PN.  It has a dark cherry red appearance and smells of blackberries and dark, sweet cherries.  It has few tannins and is really easy to drink.  At 13.4% alcohol it is comparable to most American Pinot Noirs.   The flavors complemented the cheddar cheese and crackers I had with it as well as the beef stroganoff I had for dinner.   Castle Gate Pinot Noir is priced right and would make an excellent workday or party wine.

Bottom line:  This is a really nice, easy-to-drink Pinot with wonderful, fruity flavors.  While not complex is its structure, it does have enough body to stand up to lighter dishes.  I think this wine is better suited for that "nice glass of red" that we often look forward to after a rough day.

Price/Value:   Good;  

Comparable Wines:  Concannon Livermore Valley Pinot Noir

Price:  $13-14

Serving Temp:   I recommend 60 degrees.  I tried it at 56 and 65 and found the middle range more appropriate.

Let me know what you think.

Wes


1 comment:

  1. This wine is a winner! I absolutely love it. I've been searching for a light to medium bodied everyday PN to enjoy, as you say, after a rough day at work, not necessarily to pair with food. This week I picked up 3 random bottles of PN at Costco to give them a try. I knew this was a hit at the first sip, and at $7.79 it was half the price point of the other two bottles. I went back tonight and bought a case.

    ReplyDelete