Sunday, October 4, 2009

2006 Ten Mile -- "The Broken Road" Red Blend


This week's featured red is a red blend I heard about in Food and Wine Magazine's feature on the best wines under $15.   Ten Mile Red is produced by Ten Mile Wines in the Napa Valley and is a blend four primary varietals:  Petite Sirah, Zinfandel, Barbera and Carignane.

Over the past year I've had the opportunity to explore a good many red blends and have found them to generally be a lot of fun and easy to drink.  The California winemakers have created a niche of these blends and you should easily find them in your local wine store.

Let's cut to the chase on this one.....BUY IT NOW! It rocks!   The good news is that this one sells for less than $15.  The bad news....it may be hard to find.  For those of you in my Oklahoma stomping ground you can get this at Thru the Cellar Door but quantities are limited.

Now to the wine....this is a delightful wine with a medium body and deep rich garnet color.  The tannins are relatively low and it is easy to drink.

The nose catches hints of pepper and spice.  The palate gets deep, rich berries and fruits.  It is smooth..very smooth... and will pair well with a variety of foods.  I had it with pot roast and it was great.

I'd call this a diamond in the rough.   It is a wine of immense structure and will not disappoint.  And..it is one helluva buy.

Rating:   Outstanding

Price:   $14-$16

1 comment:

  1. I will have to try next time I come in. I love the blends!

    ReplyDelete