Sunday, October 11, 2009

Oh You (Velvet) Devil, You!

The Velvet Devil
2007 Merlot
Charles Smith Wines



A few weeks ago I reviewed a new Chardonnay called "Eve."  Tonight I will tell you about a sinfully delicious Merlot from the same producer, Charles Smith WInes from the Columbia Valley in Washington State.

First, let me say that I've never been a huge Merlot fan.   I can't really say why but I just typically don't find them that exciting.   There are "kick ass" cabs and equally as grand Pinots but I've never found a Merlot that rocked my socks!  I'm one of these instant gratification types--and you won'f find a cellar at my place.  I typically drink what I buy pretty quickly.

Maybe this is why I like the Charles Smith wines.  He has a line called "The Modernist Project" that is meant to be reflective of our society.....we buy wine then go home and drink it!   Hence, he produces a line of wines that are meant to be drunk immediately and are full of the flavors of the varietal it represents.  The labels are simple black and white with names sure to stand out.

Velvet Devil merlot is a light-medium bodied merlot.  Its 13.5% alcohol content is typical of American wines.  It is smooth....very, very smooth (hence the velvet moniker).  Serve this wine in the low 60's....and you'll experience a mouth full of flavor.  Too cold or too warm (don't serve it above 65 degrees) and the flavors will not stand out.

It has a great ruby red color.  I poured it in a large Spiegelau Bordeaux glass and just took in the great color and aroma.  Have you ever noticed that some Merlots have a brown tinge to them?  This merlot does not.  You'll be able to pick out plum and berry flavors.  The vintner's web site mentions "hints of chocolate."  Sure enough....stick that nose down in the glass..close your eyes...and there it is...chocolate!

Bottom line....  this is a fun wine.  It is ever so smooth.  It tastes GREAT.  It isn't complicated.  Enjoy this after work or with pork.  I had it with my "Comfort Food Sunday" meal of Navy Beans and Ham.  It was terrific!

Rating:   Very Good

Price:  $12-$13

Drink up and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment