Monday, September 14, 2009

La Vieille Ferme Rouge


This is my absolute favorite, best-buy red of the year. And, I owe it to my friend Eileen Hallmark with Vineyard Brands Importers. She posted it as a suggestion back in the spring.

This is a dry red wine with very few tannins (that means no "pucker" to you wine virgins). It is medium bodied and similar in mouthfeel to a lighter merlot.

It is dry, fruity and wonderful. I've had this with burgers and steaks and most often just by itself as a pick me up. It even works with Hamburger Helper!

As soon as the weather gets cooler I will be using this in a Julia Child recipe for Beef Bourginone. It will be a killer.

I've found this wine drinks best at around 65 degrees. Pop it in the fridge for 10-15 minutes. Also, it really opens up with some air. Pour it in a BIG glass and let it swirl around. You will not be disappointed.




Rating: VERY GOOD


Price: 750ml around $8-10
1.5l $13-18

1 comment:

  1. Hey Wes, Chuck (my hubby) and I tried the La Vieille Ferme Rouge you suggested tonight and we love it! Found it for $8.99 here in Virginia. Very drinkable, smooth, with a great finish! If it were a bit heartier (I like 'em full bodied) it wou...ld be perfect. Just gives me a reason to keep trying others... Thanks for the recommendation! Great job!

    ReplyDelete